Thursday, March 17, 2011

Teaching about Information

Information is an abstraction and thus meaning has to be teased and formed from it.  The meaning underlying information “cannot be taught; it must be fashioned by the learner” (Wiggins & McTighe, p. 103).  Bruce gives us the seven faces of informed learning which “reveal different ways in which information is experienced” (p. 39).  More than that, they show us that each of us may experience information in different ways.  The seven faces then provide a common ground where teacher and student can instruct and learn, respectively, most efficiently.  Where we have standards that describe what an information literate individual might look like, Bruce’s seven faces of informed learning provides a means for reaching those standards.  This is important because as we have learned through our work with learning theories, individuals come to learn and understand in different ways; we each have our strengths and weaknesses when it comes to approaching and mastering information.  Therefore, through the seven faces, one can begin to recognize how a student might engage or respond to information presented.

3 comments:

  1. You bring up a good point that teaching and learning is a highly reciprocal endeavor. I have learned so much from the students I teach. Hearing their perspectives and telling me what they think is important for them to learn helps me shape my curriculum and teaching style to enhance the knowledge-based information I am providing as an instructor.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Rich- I love this post. Thank you for so concisely synthesizing these big ideas. Reading this really helped me think about the discussion questions.

    I too appreciate Bruce as a means of extending the standards. After reading the standards, my big question is, so what would this standard look like in practice? Bruce starts to answer that, I think, and it's helpful to have that perspective.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reading your post makes me want to reread the seven faces of informed learning and the ACRL standards.

    ReplyDelete